Get Your Shoes On



I have been recalling lately a story of my oldest son. When he was about five I decided to take him with me to the QT. It was one of his favorite places to go because I would always let him pick out a treat. He was busy playing in his room with his brothers, so I called him out into the living room. I asked him to get his shoes on, but I didn’t want to tell him why. I knew that if I told him we were going to the QT, he would brag to all of his brothers and then they would all want to come. This is something that I did not want to happen. Unfortunately, when I requested that he put his shoes on, he began to throw a fit. Screaming and crying he said, “I don’t want to put my shoes on! I am playing with my brothers! Why do I have to put my shoes on?” I replied, “Just trust me. Put your shoes on and you won’t regret it.” But he wouldn’t trust me. Instead, he refused and ran back to his room to continue doing whatever it was he had been doing with his brothers. Oh, how sad this made my heart. If only he had known why I was asking him to put his shoes on and follow me. If only he had known what was in store for him if he would simply obey me and do what I was asking of him. But instead, I left the house without him and headed to the QT. I felt so sad knowing what he was missing out on, simply because he wasn’t willing to trust me and follow me. But as I was thinking about how sad I was for him, I realized how often I behave the exact same way with the Lord. He asks me to step out of whatever it is I am doing and follow Him. He asks me to leave the joy and comfort of the life that I am currently living and do something different. So often, however, I fight Him on it. I demand to know why. I need to know that if I stop what I am doing and get my shoes on, so to speak, that it is going to be worth it. I beg Him for the big picture, but instead He gives me only the moment by moment steps. He simply says, “Obey me. Follow me. You won’t regret it!”

I see now that choosing to do chemo was the act of me putting on my shoes. I was not happy about it, but experience has taught me that there really is no where else to go except to follow Him. It is He that has the words of life. And so, I put on my shoes, walked out the door and away from the plans that seemed so good and right, and followed Him. Now here I am, weak, tired, sick and bald, yet feeling so blown away by the outpouring of God's goodness. As sick as my body is, my spirit has come alive in the midst of it. I feel absolutely wonderful and awful at the same time. Almost as if the worse things get, the better they get (if that makes sense).

I came across these verses today in 1 Peter 4 (from the Message), and it speaks so beautifully and powerfully concerning this truth. 

1-2 "Since Jesus went through everything you're going through and more, learn to think like Him. Think of your suffering as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way. Then you'll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want."
7-11 "Everything in the world is about to be wrapped up, so take nothing for granted. Stay wide-awake in prayer. Most of all, love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically anything. Be quick to give a meal to the hungry, a bed to the homeless-cheerfully. Be generous with the different things God gave you, passing them around so all get in on it: if words, let it be God's words; if help, let it be God's hearty help. That way, God's bright presence will be evident in everything through Jesus, and he'll get all the credit as the One might in everything- encores to the end of time."
12-13 "Friends, when life gets really difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner."
19 "So if you find life difficult because you're doing what God said, take it in stride. Trust Him. He knows what He is doing, and He'll keep on doing it."

And so, I leave you with this question: Has God been asking you to put on your shoes and follow Him? If He has, then I urge you, don't waste another moment. Get you're shoes on, NOW, and follow Him. I promise, you won't regret it. 

Comments

Unknown said…
I will try to tell you how proud I am of you.So many lilife lessons we don't even consider. You are such a great influence. Even noticed by the kids. Love from our house to yours.
Amy said…
Your words always bring a comfort to me. Thank you for this. 💚

Popular Posts